The spatial distribution of new technology-based firms: Empirical results for West-Germany
AbstractThe focus of the article is to shed some more light on the spatial distribution of new technology-based firms (NTBF) and to discuss location factors which may contribute to the explanation of the variation in the incidence of NTBF between the West-German districts ("Kreise"). Based on theoretical models explaining the location decisions of new firms, hypotheses are derived and tested in an empirical model. The regression results indicate strong correlations between the occurrence of NTBF and the proximity to Research and Development (R&D) facilities comprising universities, technical colleges and non-university institutes as well as private R&D. As expected, the impact of the various facilities varies with respect to their field of specialization, showing major positive correlations with respect to technical disciplines. Moreover, the estimates reveal out differences due to spatial characteristics such as infrastructure and other structural factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 79 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 26 April 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Heger, Diana & Rinawi, Miriam & Veith, Tobias, 2011. "The effect of broadband infrastructure on entrepreneurial activities: The case of Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-081, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wagner, Joachim & Sternberg, Rolf, 2002.
"The Role of the Regional Milieu for the Decision to Start a New Firm: Empirical Evidence for Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
494, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sternberg, Rolf & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "The role of the regional milieu for the decision to start a new firm: Empirical evidence for Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa02p396, European Regional Science Association.
- Arthur Huang & David Levinson, 2008. "An agent-based retail location model on a supply chain network," Working Papers 000037, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Schanne, Norbert & Weyh, Antje, 2009. "What makes start-ups out of unemployment different?," IAB Discussion Paper 200904, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- C. Dembour, 2008. "Competition for Business Location: A Survey," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 89-111, June.
- Pedro Moyano & Beatriz Fariña & Guillermo Aleixandre & Olga Ogando, 2005. "Enterprise creation at a local scale - determining factors in the case of municipalities in Castilla y León," ERSA conference papers ersa05p516, European Regional Science Association.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2008.
"The effect of new business formation on regional development over time: the case of Germany,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 15-29, January.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2006. "The Effect of New Business Formation on Regional Development over Time: The Case of Germany," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-19, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Fritsch, Michael & Mueller, Pamela, 2006. "The effect of new business formation on regional development over time: the case of Germany," Freiberg Working Papers 2006,13, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Faggian, Alessandra & Mañé Vernet, Ferran, 2010. "Internal and External Determinants of Radical and incremental Innovation in SMEs: the case of Catalonia," Working Papers 2072/179605, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Laaser, Claus-Friedrich & Soltwedel, Rüdiger, 2002. "Internet, adjustment of firms and the spatial division of labour," ERSA conference papers ersa02p520, European Regional Science Association.
- Moyano Pesquera, Pedro, 2011. "La adaptación del Sistema Nacional de Incentivos Regionales a la Ley para el Desarrollo Sostenible del Medio Rural /Adjustment of the National System of Regional Incentives to the Law for Sustainable," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 95-128, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.