special issue: The new geography of corporate research in Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
AbstractIn the new ICT-based paradigm MNCs have increasingly locationally dispersed competence-creating activities. Using patent data granted in the US to the largest European-owned electronic corporations and all the largest companies in other industries for their ICT research in the European regions, this paper investigates the regional dispersion of such research. We find that co-specialised electronic companies do not tend to develop related R&D in the same regional location, but non-electronic firms undertake related ICT development in a common centre of excellence. Thus, intra-industry competition encourages the geographical separation of co-specialised research, while inter-industry cooperation entails the co-location of related research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santangelo, Grazia D., 2009. "MNCs and linkages creation: Evidence from a peripheral area," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 192-205, April.
- Santangelo, Grazia Domenica, 2012. "The tension of information sharing: Effects on subsidiary embeddedness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 180-195.
- Koen Frenken & Elena Cefis & Erik Stam, 2011. "Industrial dynamics and economic geography: a survey," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 11-07, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Narula, Rajneesh & Santangelo, Grazia D., 2011. "New insights on the role of location advantages in international innovation," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 045, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Ron Boschma & Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Dieter Kogler, 2011. "A relational approach to knowledge spillovers in biotech. Network structures as drivers of inter-organizational citation patterns," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1120, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.