The value of money in a dynamic equilibrium model
AbstractThis paper studies the pricing of money in an infinite-horizon economy with heterogeneous agents, incomplete financial markets and arbitrary borrowing restrictions. Purchases of the consumption good are subject to a cash-in-advance constraint. Under general conditions I show that the price of money is equal to its fundamental value, where this value is defined over all state-price processes that are compatible with the existence of no-arbitrage opportunities. This equality implies that the cash-in-advance constraint is binding infinitely often for all agents in the economy. The analysis highlights certain differences in the determination of the price of money with respect to models with money in the utility function that bear on the optimal implementation of economic policies. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aloisio Araujo & Mário R. Páscoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2006.
"Bubbles, Collateral and Monetary Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001055, David K. Levine.
- Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Páscoa, Mario Rui, 2006. "Bubbles, Collateral and Monetary Equilibrium," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 614, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Aloisio Araujo & Mario Pascoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martinez, 2005. "Bubbles, collateral and monetary equilibrium," Textos para discussÃ£o 513, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Mario R. Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Pablo Torres-Martinez, 2007. "Welfare-improving debt constraints," Textos para discussÃ£o 541, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil), revised Dec 2007.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2014. "National and International Inequalities in Income and Wealth in a Global Growth with Free Trade and National Inflation Policies," Global Economic Observer, "Nicolae Titulescu" University of Bucharest, Faculty of Economic Sciences;Institute for World Economy of the Romanian Academy, vol. 2(1), pages 22-40, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.