Decentralized credit and monetary exchange without public record keeping
AbstractWe relax a standard assumption on the matching technology in a search model of money. In particular, agents may remain in a long-term partnership as long as it is in their self-interest. With this simple modification, it is possible to support self-enforcing, intertemporal trade which resembles credit without a public record keeping device. We examine conditions for co-existence of currency and credit and the welfare gains/losses associated with the introduction of money. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pingle, Mark & Mukhopadhyay, Sankar, 2010.
"Private money as a competing medium of exchange,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 541-554, June.
- Monnet, Cyril & Roberds, William, 2008. "Optimal pricing of payment services," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1428-1440, November.
- Ed Nosal & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006. "The economics of payments," Policy Discussion Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Feb.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 2006.
"Credit and Identity Theft,"
2006 Meeting Papers
34, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Antoine Martin & Michael Orlando & David Skeie, 2008.
"Payment networks in a search model of money,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 104-132, January.
- Antoine Martin & Michael Orlando & David Skeie, 2006. "Payment networks in a search model of money," Staff Reports 263, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Antoine Martin & Michael Orlando & David Skeie, 2006. "Payments network in a search model of money," 2006 Meeting Papers 580, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bignon, Vincent & Breton, Régis & Rojas Breu, Mariana, 2013.
"Currency Union with and without Banking Union,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12105, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cyril Monnet & William Roberds, 2007. "Optimal pricing of payment services when cash is an alternative," Working Papers 07-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Kahn, Charles M. & Roberds, William, 2009. "Why pay? An introduction to payments economics," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006. "A Microfoundation of Monetary Economics," Working Papers tecipa-211, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Cyril Monnet & William Roberds, 2006. "Credit and the no-surcharge rule," Working Paper 2006-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.