Preference for flexibility in infinite horizon problems
AbstractWe consider the extension of the classical problem of preference for flexibility to many periods. Preferences are defined over sets of infinite paths of choices. The main result provides a set of axioms on preferences that yield an additive representation over a subjective state space. This space is the set of preferences over choice today and feasible set tomorrow. The main new axiom, stochastic dominance, is a stronger form of the assumption of monotonicity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: Received: September 11 2000; revised version: December 18, 2001
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laurent Denant-Boemont & Sabrina Hammiche, 2008. "Que vaut la flexibilité des choix individuels de transport ? Une étude de cas expérimental," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 182(1), pages 97-111.
- Takeoka, Norio, 2007. "Subjective probability over a subjective decision tree," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 536-571, September.
- Kraus, Alan & Sagi, Jacob S., 2006. "Inter-temporal preference for flexibility and risky choice," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 698-709, September.
- Spyros Galanis, 2013.
"Unawareness of theorems,"
Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 41-73, January.
- Galanis, Spyros, 2007. "Unawareness of theorems," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 51816, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Higashi, Youichiro & Hyogo, Kazuya & Takeoka, Norio, 2009. "Subjective random discounting and intertemporal choice," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 1015-1053, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.