On the roles of impatiencein homothetic growth paths
AbstractThis article reexamines the role of long-run endogenous impatience in homothetic growth paths. Using a class of intertemporal preferences assuming a continuous time generator representation, the existence, uniqueness and determinacy properties of a homothetic growth path with endogenous rates of time preference are checked. The argument is based on extensive use of prospective utility. The associated utilities are shown to exhibit a rate of time preference function that becomes invariant to prospective utility along the homothetic growth solution. They also enter in a normal way in the generating function. Finally and at the opposite of earlier conclusions for steady states, the nil rate of time preference case associated with multiplicatively separable generators cannot anymore be discarded.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: July 10, 1997; revised version: January 18, 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michel, Philippe & Thibault, Emmanuel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2004.
"Intergenerational altruism and neoclassical growth models,"
Working Paper Series
0386, European Central Bank.
- Michel, Philippe & Thibault, Emmanuel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Intergenerational altruism and neoclassical growth models," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Jorge Durán & Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2006. "Sobre la medición del crecimiento económico en presencia de progreso técnico incorporado," Working Papers 2006-24, FEDEA.
- ZHANG, Wei-Bin, 2013. "Habit Formation And Preference Change In A Twosector Growth Model With Elastic Labor Supply," Academica Science Journal, Economica Series, Dimitrie Cantemir University, Faculty of Economical Science, vol. 1(2), pages 3-20, May.
- Wei-Bin ZHANG, 2012. "Habits, Saving Propensity, And Economic Growth," Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences, University of Pitesti, vol. 11(2), pages 3-15.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2013. "Habit Formation and Preference Change with Capital and Renewable Resources," Business Systems Research, Society for Promotion of Business Information Technology (BIT), vol. 4(2), pages 108-125.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.