Uncertainty and entry deterrence
AbstractWe study a model where capacity installation by an incumbent firm serves to deter others from entering the industry. We argue that uncertainty about demand or costs forces the incumbent to choose a higher capacity level than it would under certainty. This higher level diminishes the attractiveness of deterrence (Proposition 1) and, therefore, the range of parameter values for which deterrence occurs (Proposition 2).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: July 10, 1997; revised version: November 21, 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2013. "Strategic Capacity Investment Under uncertainty," Discussion Paper 2013-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan, 2011. "Financial and operational instruments for commodity procurement in quantity competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 96-106, May.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chakrabarti, Avik, 2012. "Stochastic processes and target zones revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 34-36.
- Gabszewicz, Jean & Tarola, Ornella & Zanaj, Skerdilajda, 2010.
"On uncertainty when it affects successive markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 133-136, February.
- Jean Gabszewicz & Ornella Tarola & Skerdilajda Zanaj, 2009. "On uncertainty when it affects successive markets," CREA Discussion Paper Series 09-13, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & TAROLA, Ornella & ZANAJ, Skerdilajda, 2009. "On uncertainty when it affects successive markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2009027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & TAROLA, Ornella & ZANAJ, Skerdilajda, . "On uncertainty when it affects successive markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2356, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bert Willems & Joris Morbee, 2012. "Risk Spillovers and Hedging: Why Do Firms Invest Too Much in Systemic Risk?," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/35, European University Institute.
- Creane, Anthony & Miyagiwa, Kaz, 2009. "Forgoing invention to deter entry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 632-638, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.