A general characterization of one factor affine term structure models
AbstractWe give a complete characterization of affine term structure models based on a general nonnegative Markov short rate process. This applies to the classical CIR model but includes as well short rate processes with jumps. We provide a link to the theory of branching processes and show how CBI-processes naturally enter the field of term structure modelling. Using Markov semigroup theory we exploit the full structure behind an affine term structure model and provide a deeper understanding of some well-known properties of the CIR model. Based on these fundamental results we construct a new short rate model with jumps, which extends the CIR model and still gives closed form expressions for bond options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 5 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: received: June 2000, final version received: October 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enlin Pan & Liuren Wu, 2004. "Taking Positive Interest Rates Seriously," Finance 0409013, EconWPA.
- Olivier Scaillet., 2003.
"Linear-Quadratic Jump-Diffusion Modelling with Application to Stochastic Volatility,"
THEMA Working Papers
2003-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Peng Cheng & Olivier Scaillet, 2002. "Linear-Quadratic Jump-Diffusion Modeling with Application to Stochastic Volatility," FAME Research Paper Series rp67, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Carr, Peter & Wu, Liuren, 2004.
"Time-changed Levy processes and option pricing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 113-141, January.
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2010. "Pricing swaps and options on quadratic variation under stochastic time change models—discrete observations case," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-176, July.
- Martin Keller-Ressel & Thomas Steiner, 2008. "Yield curve shapes and the asymptotic short rate distribution in affine one-factor models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 149-172, April.
- Jose Vicente & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2007.
"Forecasting Bonds Yields in the Brazilian Fixed Income Market,"
Working Papers Series
141, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Vicente, José & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2008. "Forecasting bond yields in the Brazilian fixed income market," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 490-497.
- Nicola Bruti-Liberati & Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios & Eckhard Platen, 2010. "Real-world jump-diffusion term structure models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 23-37.
- Massoud Heidari & Liuren WU, 2002. "Are Interest Rate Derivatives Spanned by the Term Structure of Interest Rates?," Finance 0207013, EconWPA.
- Duffie, Darrell, 2003. "Intertemporal asset pricing theory," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 639-742 Elsevier.
- Ronnie L. Loeffen & Pierre Patie, 2010. "Absolute ruin in the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck type risk model," Papers 1006.2712, arXiv.org.
- Steven Heston, 2007. "A model of discontinuous interest rate behavior, yield curves, and volatility," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 205-225, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.