Financial development and economic growth in Australia: An empirical analysis
AbstractThe paper empirically examines the dynamic relationship between financial development and economic growth in Australia in terms of bank-based and market-based financial structure. A time-series approach using the VAR Model is used to provide evidence for the dynamic relationship. The paper provides empirical evidence on the causal impact of the financial market on the economic growth of the Australian economy. The results suggest that financial intermediaries and financial markets have different impacts on economic growth given their diverse roles in the domestic economy. In particular there is evidence of causality from economic growth to the development of the financial intermediaries. On the other hand, development in the financial markets causes economic growth but there is no evidence of any causality from economic growth to financial markets. The sensitivity test using different interest rates does not change the results. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James B. Ang, 2008.
"A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 536-576, 07.
- James B. Ang, 2007. "A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth," Monash Economics Working Papers 03-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Naceur, Samy Ben & Ghazouani, Samir, 2007. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth: Empirical evidence from the MENA region," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Ahmed, Syed & Horner, James & Rafiq, Rafiqul Bhuyan, 2008. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Experiences of Selected Developing Economies," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 4(1-2).
- Henryk Gurgul & £ukasz Lach, 2012.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth in Poland in Transition: Causality Analysis,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(4), pages 347-367, August.
- Gurgul, Henryk & Łukasz, Lach, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth in Poland in transition: causality analysis," MPRA Paper 38034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007.
"Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- James B. Ang, 2007.
"Are Financial Sector Policies Effective In Deepening The Malaysian Financial System?,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
02-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Ang, 2008. "Are Financial Sector Policies Effective In Deepening The Malaysian Financial System?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 623-635, October.
- James B. Ang, 2007. "Are Financial Sector Policies Effective in Deeping the Malaysian Financial System," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_031, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Florent DEISTING & Farid MAKHLOUF & Adil NAAMANE, 2012. "Développement financier, flux financiers et croissance économique," Working Papers 2011-2012_10, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jun 2012.
- Muhammad Tahir, 2008. "An Investigation of the Effectiveness of Financial Development in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 27-44, Jul-Dec.
- Abu-Bader, Suleiman & Abu-Qarn, Aamer, 2006.
"Financial Developent and Economic Growth Nexus: Time Series Evidence from Middle Eastern and North African Countries,"
972, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Suleiman Abu-Bader & Aamer Abu-Qarn, 2006. "Financial Developent and Economic Growth Nexus: Time Series Evidence from Middle Eastern and North African Countries," Working Papers 223, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Xun Lu & Dietrich Fausten & Russell Smyth, 2007.
"Financial Development, Capital Accumulation and Productivity Improvement: Evidence from China,"
Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 227-242.
- Xun Lu & Dietrich Fausten & Russell Smyth, 2006. "Financial Development, Capital Accumulation And Productivity Improvement: Evidence From China," Monash Economics Working Papers 04/06, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2007.
"The Financial Development and Economic Growth Nexus for Turkey,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2007_06, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2007. "The Financial Development and Economic Growth Nexus for Turkey," MPRA Paper 3566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Singh, Rup & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2008. "Financial developments and the rate of growth of output: An alternative approach," MPRA Paper 8605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdullahi D. Ahmed & Abu N.M. Wahid, 2011. "Financial structure and economic growth link in African countries: a panel cointegration analysis," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 331-357, July.
- Ang, James B., 2008. "What are the mechanisms linking financial development and economic growth in Malaysia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 38-53, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.