A panel cointegration approach to the investment-saving correlation
AbstractThis paper augments the empirical literature concerning the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle using non-stationary panel data. Recently developed tests for panel cointegration and panel unit root tests are employed. We find substantial evidence to support the hypothesis of no cointegration in this panel, implying a high degree of international capital mobility. Our results suggest that tests for cointegration in panel data provides a better methodological focus than the magnitude of saving-retention coefficients.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: received: August 1999/Final version accepted: December 2000
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herwartz, Helmut & Xu, Fang, 2007.
"A functional coefficient model view of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,14, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Herwartz, H. & Xu, F., 2010. "A functional coefficient model view of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 37-54, February.
- João Sousa Andrade, 2007. "L’Intégration Européenne et la Soutenabilité Externe de l’Union Européenne: une application de la thèse de Feldstein-Horioka," GEMF Working Papers 2007-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K., 2007. "A note on capital mobility in Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 535-540.
- Kling, Gerhard, 2006. "The long-term impact of mergers and the emergence of a merger wave in pre-World-War I Germany," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 667-688, October.
- Shigeyuki Hamori, 2007. "International Capital Flows and the Frankel-Dooley-Mathieson Puzzle," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(19), pages 1-12.
- João Sousa Andrade, 2007. "La these de Feldstein-Horioka: une mesure de la mobilité internationale du capital," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 54(1), pages 53-67, March.
- Telatar, Erdinc & Telatar, Funda & Bolatoglu, Nasip, 2007. "A regime switching approach to the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle: Evidence from some European countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 523-533.
- João Sousa Andrade, 2006. "Mobilidade do Capital e Sustentabilidade Externa: uma aplicação da tese de F-H a Portugal (1910-2004)," GEMF Working Papers 2006-04, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.