Survival and efficiency curves for capital and the time-age-profile of vintage prices
AbstractThe decline in the service flow from a stock of capital goods with age, due to the physical retirement of capital units and to the gradual loss of efficiency of each unit remaining, can be described by survival curves and efficiency curves. The paper reconsiders the relationship between these curves and the vintage prices of capital under neo-classical assumptions about perfect second hand markets and malleability, using duality between quantites and prices. Three examples with parametric survival and efficiency curves are presented. Concavity of the survival and efficiency curves may be compatible with convexity of the age-price profile. This approach is contrasted with the frequently cited Hulten-Wykoff approach. Empirical illustrations, focusing on the cenvexity/concavity issue, are given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: received: September 1995/final version received: May 1997
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bitros, George C., 2009. "The Theorem of Proportionality in Mainstream Capital Theory: An Assessment of its Applicability," MPRA Paper 17821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.