Trade Liberalization and Industrial Structure in Spain: An Applied General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractWe empirically evaluate the aggregate welfare effects and structural adjustment for the Spanish economy that would follow from trade liberalization with the European Economic Community. Recent theory suggests that the classical gains form more liberal trade relations could be amplified substantially if EEC liberalization permits Spanish industries to realize economies of scale. These effects depend upon the extent of trade creation and trade diversion resulting from preferential liberalization, which in turn depend on the existing patterns of Spanish resource allocation, trade, and comparative advantage. The estimated results are derived from disaggregate microeconomic model of the Spanish economy. We find that increasing returns can actually be beneficial or detrimental, depending upon the interactions between trade and policy toward domestic industry.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barbara M Roberts & Jeffery I Round, . "Import Demand Specification in Computable General Equilibrium Models of Economies in Transition," Discussion Papers in European Economics 99/4, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Cardenete Flores, M.A & Llop Llop, M., 2005. "Modelos multisectoriales de equilibrio general aplicado en España: Una revisión/Multisectorial Applied General Equilibrium Models in Spain: a Review," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 385-404, Agosto.
- María Montero, . "Estructura demográfica y sistema de pensiones. Un análisis de equilibrio general aplicado a la economía española," Studies on the Spanish Economy 16, FEDEA.
- Antonio Gómez Gómez-Plana, . "Simulación De Políticas Económicas: Los Modelos De Equilibrio General Aplicado," Working Papers 35-02 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- María Montero-Muñoz, 2000. "Estructura demográfica y sistemas de pensiones," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(2), pages 297-327, May.
- M. Carmen Lima & M. Alejandro Cardenete, 2005. "Impact Assessment of European Structural Funds in Andalusia - a CGE Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa05p154, European Regional Science Association.
- Taran Fæhn, 1997. "Non-Tariff Barriers - the Achilles' Heel of Trade Policy Analyses," Discussion Papers 195, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.