How corruption affects persistent capital flows
AbstractCorruption is known to reduce the ratio of investment to GDP. This study breaks down investment into domestic savings and net capital inflows. A significant impact of corruption exists only for the latter variable because the first variable is distorted by general equilibrium repercussions. An increase in Colombia’s level of integrity to that of the United Kingdom is found to increase net annual capital inflows by 3 percent of GDP. Decomposing this impact reveals that bureaucratic quality, civil liberty and government stability are irrelevant, but that a country’s law and order tradition is a crucial sub-component for attracting capital. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Governance.
Volume (Year): 4 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10101/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Judge, William Q. & McNatt, D. Brian & Xu, Weichu, 2011. "The antecedents and effects of national corruption: A meta-analysis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Toke Aidt & Jayasri Dutta & Vania Sena, 2006.
"Governance Regimes, Corruption and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
15_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Aidt, Toke & Dutta, Jayasri & Sena, Vania, 2008. "Governance regimes, corruption and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-220, June.
- Azariadis, Costas & Stachurski, John, 2005.
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5
- Ram Mudambi & Pietro Navarra & Andrew Delios, 2013. "Government regulation, corruption, and FDI," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 487-511, June.
- Axel Dreher & Thomas Herzfeld, 2005. "The Economic Costs of Corruption: A Survey and New Evidence," Public Economics 0506001, EconWPA.
- Jiménez, Alfredo & Delgado-García, Juan Bautista, 2012. "Proactive management of political risk and corporate performance: The case of Spanish multinational enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1029-1040.
- Omer Gokcekus & Amy Muedin, 2008. "Quantifying corruption by a human capital earnings equation," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 55(3), pages 243-252, September.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005.
"Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?,"
Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 69-97, January.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005. "Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7364, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Aidt, T. & Dutta, J. & Vania Sena, 2005. "Growth, Governance and Corruption in the Presence of Threshold Effects: Theory and Evidence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0540, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Cuervo-Cazurra, Alvaro, 2008. "Better the devil you don't know: Types of corruption and FDI in transition economies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 12-27, March.
- Nikopour, Hesam & Shah Habibullah, Muzafar & Schneider, Friedrich & Law, Siong Hook, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment and Shadow Economy: A Causality Analysis Using Panel Data," MPRA Paper 14485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu, Simplice A. & Andrés, Antonio R. & Amavilah, Voxi S. H., 2013.
"The Impact of Formal Institutions on Knowledge Economy,"
52206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio R. Andrés & Simplice A. Asongu & Voxi Amavilah, 2013. "The Impact of Formal Institutions on Knowledge Economy," Development Research Working Paper Series 05/2013, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Antonio R. Andrés & Asongu Simplice & Voxi S. H. Amavilah, 2013. "The Impact of Formal Institutions on Knowledge Economy," Working Papers 13/025, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Filippova, Irina, 2013.
"Коррупция, Демократия И Регуляторная Эффективность Государства
[Corruption, democracy and control effectiveness of the state]," MPRA Paper 49951, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Truex, Rory, 2011. "Corruption, Attitudes, and Education: Survey Evidence from Nepal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1133-1142, July.
- Michael Breen & Robert Gillanders, 2011.
"Corruption, Institutions and Regulation,"
201106, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- William Hallagan, 2010. "Corruption in dictatorships," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Danielle Warren & William Laufer, 2009. "Are Corruption Indices a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy? A Social Labeling Perspective of Corruption," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(4), pages 841-849, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.