Institutional quality and poverty measures in a cross-section of countries
AbstractWe provide cross-country empirical evidence on the link between measures of institutional development and of poverty over the period 1960-1990. We find that the more efficient the institutions, the lower the degree, severity, and incidence of poverty. We provide both ordinary least squares and two-stages least squares estimates, and show that our results are robust for an overall measure of institutional development as well as for an index of risk of expropriation and quality of the bureaucracy. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2000
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Governance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10101/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dreher, Axel & Voigt, Stefan, 2011.
"Does membership in international organizations increase governments' credibility? Testing the effects of delegating powers,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 326-348, September.
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers," KOF Working papers 08-193, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200819, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers," CESifo Working Paper Series 2285, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philip Arestis & Asena Caner, 2010.
"Capital account liberalisation and poverty: how close is the link?,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 295-323, March.
- Philip Arestis & Asena Caner, 2008. "Capital Account Liberalization and Poverty: How Close is the Link?," Working Papers 0811, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Judy Day & Peter Taylor, 2004. "Institutional Change and Debt-based Corporate Governance: A Comparative Analysis of Four Transition Economies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 73-115, March.
- Tebaldi, Edinaldo & Mohan, Ramesh, 2008. "Poverty, Geography and Institutional Path Dependence," MPRA Paper 10201, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Pani, 2011. "Hold your nose and vote: corruption and public decisions in a representative democracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 163-196, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.