Efficient strategies for deriving the subset VAR models
AbstractAlgorithms for computing the subset Vector Autoregressive (VAR) models are proposed. These algorithms can be used to choose a subset of the most statistically-significant variables of a VAR model. In such cases, the selection criteria are based on the residual sum of squares or the estimated residual covariance matrix. The VAR model with zero coefficient restrictions is formulated as a Seemingly Unrelated Regressions (SUR) model. Furthermore, the SUR model is transformed into one of smaller size, where the exogenous matrices comprise columns of a triangular matrix. Efficient algorithms which exploit the common columns of the exogenous matrices, sparse structure of the variance-covariance of the disturbances and special properties of the SUR models are investigated. The main computational tool of the selection strategies is the generalized QR decomposition and its modification. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Computational Management Science.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=111894
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hofmann, Marc & Gatu, Cristian & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos John, 2007. "Efficient algorithms for computing the best subset regression models for large-scale problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 16-29, September.
- Gatu, Cristian & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2006. "Estimating all possible SUR models with permuted exogenous data matrices derived from a VAR process," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 721-739, May.
- Gatu, Cristian & Yanev, Petko I. & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2007. "A graph approach to generate all possible regression submodels," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 799-815, October.
- Pacheco, Joaquin & Casado, Silvia & Nunez, Laura & Gomez, Olga, 2006. "Analysis of new variable selection methods for discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1463-1478, December.
- Gatu, Cristian & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J. & Gilli, Manfred & Winker, Peter, 2008. "An efficient branch-and-bound strategy for subset vector autoregressive model selection," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1949-1963, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.