Convergence and regional productivity differences: Evidence from Greek prefectures
AbstractWe study the effect of technology gaps and capital deepening on the productivity growth of Greek prefectures over the period 1971-1995. The empirical results show that Greek prefectures tended to converge over time, contrary to conventional wisdom. It is found that capital deepening plays a significant role in explaining productivity differences at the regional level. The empirical results are discussed in detail. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Reinhold Kosfeld & Nina Muraro, 2009. "Auswirkungen der Bevölkerungsentwicklung auf das wirtschaftliche Niveau der Regionen in Deutschland," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200901, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- George Petrakos & Panagiotis Artelaris, 2009. "European Regional Convergence Revisited: A Weighted Least Squares Approach," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 40(2), pages 314-331.
- Michael Beenstock & Daniel Felsenstein & Nadav Ben Zeev, 2011. "Capital deepening and regional inequality: an empirical analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 599-617, December.
- Emiliano Giudici & André Mollick, 2008. "Convergence in the Eastern Caribbean States," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 893-909, December.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2008.
"Socioeconomic indicators for analyzing Convergence: the case of Greece: 1960-2004,"
0014, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2009. "Socioeconomic Indicators for Analyzing Convergence: The Case of Greece: 1960–2004," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 315-330, September.
- E D Balogun, 2010. "Alternative reconsideration of output growth differential for West African Monetary Zone," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the SARB/IFC seminar on "Economic and financial convergence en route to regional economic integration: experience, prospects and statis, volume 32, pages 106-120 Bank for International Settlements.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2007. "Patterns of spatial association and their persistence across socio-economic indicators: the case of the Greek regions," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 05, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Benos, Nikos & Karagiannis, Stelios, 2013. "Do Cross-Section Dependence and Parameter Heterogeneity Matter? Evidence on Human Capital and Productivity in Greece," MPRA Paper 53326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2009. "Examining the consistency of spatial association patterns across socio-economic indicators: an application to the Greek regions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 25-49, September.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Christian Dreger, 2006. "Regional productivity and income convergence in the unified Germany, 1992-2000," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(7), pages 755-767.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2009. "Alternative reconsideration of output growth differrential for the West African Monetary Zone," MPRA Paper 13416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angelos Liontakis & Christos T. Papadas & Irene Tzouramani, 2011. "Regional Economic Convergence in Greece: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1188, European Regional Science Association.
- Sarantis Lolos, 2009. "The effect of EU structural funds on regional growth: assessing the evidence from Greece, 1990–2005," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 211-228, August.
- Prodromos-Ioannis Prodromidis, 2006. "Functional Economies Or Administrative Units in Greece: What Difference Does It Make for Policy?," ERSA conference papers ersa06p358, European Regional Science Association.
- Stilianos Alexiadis & Dimitrios Tsagdis, 2006. "Examining the location factors of R&D labor in the regions of Greece," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 43-54, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.