original: Territorial competition: Some lessons for policy
AbstractThis paper analyses the policy implications of territorial competition; that is the promotion of local economic development in competition with other territories. It does so both in analytical and empirical terms moving from a wider supranational and analytical standpoint to a more practical and local one. The impact of territorial competition in welfare terms depends critically on the perspective adopted. Some policies are pure waste even from the point of view of the initiating territory. Other policies may have a positive impact in economic welfare terms, viewed from the perspective of the territory, but be zero sum from a wider perspective. There may also be policies, however, which increase economic welfare, both locally and from a wider perspective. This suggests that there is a case for providing a supranational regulatory framework. The empirical section first examines the evidence as to whether local policies for economic growth do, in fact, have any impact. The paper concludes with an examination of the actual policies pursued in a sample of European regions and draws out some conclusions for local policy makers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 32 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blume, Lorenz, 2012. "Ökonomische Rahmenbedingungen und Herausforderungen des Standortwettbewerbs," Forschungs- und Sitzungsberichte der ARL: Aufsätze, in: Städte und Regionen im Standortwettbewerb, pages 14-31 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2012. "Revealed Competition for Greenfield Investments between European Regions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-063/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2008.
"The Components of Regional Disparities in Europe,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
47/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Gilles Duranton, 2011. "California Dreamin': The Feeble Case for Cluster Policies," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 3(1), pages 3-45, July.
- Ian Gordon & Tony Travers & Christine Whitehead, 2009. "Local Authorities and the Downturn: A Review of Issues, Experience and Options," SERC Policy Papers 003, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2013.
"Competitiveness, Clusters And Policy At The Regional Level: Rhetoric Vs. Practice In Designing Policy For Depressed Regions,"
Regional Science Inquiry,
Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(1), pages 101-116, June.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2010. "Competitiveness, Clusters and Policy at the Regional Level: Rhetoric vs. Practice in Designing Policy for Depressed Regions," FEP Working Papers 386, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2012.
"Revealed Competition for Greenfield Investments between European Regions,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-063/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Martijn J. Burger & Bert van der Knaap & Ronald S. Wall, 2013. "Revealed competition for greenfield investments between European regions," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 619-648, July.
- Martijn Brons & Henri L.F.M. de Groot & Peter Nijkamp, 1999. "Growth Effects of Fiscal Policies - A Comparative Analysis in a Multi-Country Context," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-042/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Karlsson, Charlie & Johansson, Börje, 2006. "Regional Development and Knowledge," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 76, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- DAUTEL Vincent & WALTHER Olivier, 2011. "The geography of innovation in the Luxembourg metropolitan region: an intra-regional approach," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-38, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2099042 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Henley, 2005. "On regional growth convergence in Great Britain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(9), pages 1245-1260.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2011. "How high is the ability of tourism to reverse the course of depressed regions? An appraisal based on the recovery of the Portuguese Douro Valley," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1148, European Regional Science Association.
- KAPITSINIS, Nikolaos & METAXAS, Theodore & DUQUENNE, Marie Noelle, 2013. "Exploring The Coherence And The Meaning Of Territorial Competition: Do National States Behave In The Same Way As Firms In Case Of Default?. The Cases Of Greece And Dubai," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(2), pages 57-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.