Telecommunications technologies and regional development: theoretical considerations and empirical evidence
AbstractThe paper provides an analysis of network externalities in the telecommunications sector and their effects on corporate and regional performance. It can essentially be regarded as part of the general theoretical reflection on the role of telecommunications in economic development, by emphasising the importance of telecommunications for future economic growth. However, the advantages derived from these technologies stem not only from the technological changes taking place in the sector, but also from their nature as interrelated technologies. This stems from the fact that when a new subscriber joins the network, the marginal costs of his entry are lower than the marginal benefits he creates for people (firms) already networked. This difference between marginal costs and benefits (in favour of the benefits) inevitably reflects on industrial performance and - via multiplicative effects - on regional performance. The paper presents an empirical part where an effort is made to measure telecommunications network externalities. Regional differences in the exploitation of network externalities emerge between firms located in the north and in the south of Italy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 30 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harminder Battu & John Finch, 1998. "Integrating knowledge effects into university impact studies. A case study of Aberdeen University," Working Papers 98-08, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Daoqin TONG & Sandy DALL’ERBA, 2008. "Spatial Disparities In The Chinese Ict Sector: A Regional Analysis," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 111-129.
- Galliano, D. & Roux, P., 2005.
"The evolution of the spatial digital divide : from internet adoption to internet use by french industrial firms,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
200513, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Danielle GALLIANO (LEREPS-GRES & INRA-ETIC ) & Pascale ROUX (ADIS, Université Paris Sud ), 2005. "The evolution of the spatial digital divide: From internet adoption to internet use by french industrial firms," Cahiers du GRES 2005-25, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- David Newlands & Melanie Ward, 1998. "Telecommunications infrastructures and policies as factors in regional competitive advantage and disadvantage," ERSA conference papers ersa98p347, European Regional Science Association.
- Antje Burmeister & Faridah Djellal, 2004. "L'impact des technologies de l'information sur l'organisation spatiale des activités de services : le cas du transport routier de marchandises et des services intensifs en connaissance," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 19(1), pages 53-73.
- Juan Carlos Rodríguez-Cohard & Encarnación Moral-Pajares, 2005. "ICT, global markets and small firms in less-developed regions in Europe - the case of mature sectors in a Spanish Province," ERSA conference papers ersa05p655, European Regional Science Association.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 1995.
"Transport Costs and Rural Development,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
95-wp133, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 1995. "Transport Costs and Rural Development," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 95-wp133, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kilkenny, Maureen, 2003. "Transport Costs and Rural Development," Staff General Research Papers 10309, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kilkenny, Maureen, 1998. "Transport Costs and Rural Development," Staff General Research Papers 1185, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rodriguez Cohard, Juan Carlos & Bernal Jurado, Enrique, 2002. "E-commerce and territorial development in the Objective-1 spanish regions," ERSA conference papers ersa02p326, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.