Measuring the Economic Value of Water Quality: The Case of Lakeshore Land
AbstractThe valuation of water quality has proved difficult for economists using hedonic methods. This study, by employing a sample of lakes and considering only land values, is able to overcome many methodological and empirical problems inherent in previous studies. One objective measure of water quality, secchi disc reading, is found to be significant for various alternative specifications of the hedonic model. As explained, however, the results suggest that economic value may be attached to a perceived, rather than actual, measure of water quality. This raises fundamental questions as to how economists and natural scientists can work together to formulate public policy regarding water quality.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 26 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luca Stanca, 2008. "Le determinanti dei prezzi delle abitazioni: aspetti microeconomici," Working Papers 143, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Halkos, George, 2013. "The relationship between people’s attitude and willingness to pay for river conservation," MPRA Paper 50560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Beamonte Córdoba & José D. Bermúdez Edo & Alejandro Casino Martínez & Ernesto J. Veres Ferrer, 2007. "Medición de la calidad del agua del trasvase del Ebro (tramo Castellón-Mijares): valoración del coste económico asociado a la adecuación de calidades/Water Quality Measurement in the Ebro Transfe," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 573-586, Abril.
- Ge, Jiaqi & Kling, Catherine L. & Herriges, Joseph A., 2013. "How Much is Clean Water Worth? Valuing Water Quality Improvement Using A Meta Analysis," Staff General Research Papers 36597, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fluvià, Modest & Rigall-I-Torrent, Ricard & Espinet, Josep Maria & Garriga, Anna & Saló, Albert, 2011. "Precios implícitos de los atributos de los productos turísticos: ¿Qué esconde el efecto de la localización?/Implicit Prices of the Attributes of Tourism Products: What is Hidden Behind Location?," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 781-802, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.