Localizzazione geografica delle innovazioni e mercato del lavoro
AbstractWe study the link between the flexibility of Italian labour market and innovation is analysed, paying attention to the sectoral and spatial dimension. We used as independent variables two indicators of flexibility in labour market, turnover and wage variability, whereas the number of patents was used as a proxy of innovation. The results show that the innovation derives from high turnover and high wage variability only in hi-tech and Schumpeter Mark II sectors. Instead, in low-tech and Schumpeter Mark I sectors, in which Italy displayed enduring technological specialization along the 90's, the labour market flexibility caused a negative impact on innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 96 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- J40 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2007.
"Evaluating Innovation and Labour Market Relationships: The Case of Italy,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
28/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2008. "Evaluating innovation and labour market relationships: the case of Italy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 325-347, March.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2005. "Innovations and Labour Market Institutions: An Empirical Analysis of the Italian Case in the middle 90’s," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 12/2005, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.