Deviations from Purchasing Power Parity: Any Role for the Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson Hypothesis?
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to explain relative prices divergences among cities within the same currency area, such as Italy. According to our results, we find relative prices mean reverting, but at a very slow rate. The measure of persistence is high also in a well-established “monetary union” such as Italy, where some of the standard reasons behind deviations from the parity are minimised or negligible. In this work, we suggest two main explanations. First, arbitrage impediments due to transportation costs, account for part of this divergence. Second, the Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson effect is also found to be partially responsible for such persistence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 92 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (July-August)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amendola, Nicola & Vecchi, Giovanni & Al Kiswani, Bilal, 2010.
"Il costo della vita al Nord e al Sud d'Italia dal dopoguerra a oggi. Stime di prima generazione,"
23486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicola Amendola & Giovanni Vecchi & Bilal Al Kiswani, 2009. "Il costo della vita al Nord e al Sud d’Italia, dal dopoguerra a oggi. Stime di prima generazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 99(2), pages 3-34, April-Jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.