Private Information, Strategic Behavior, and Efficiency in Cournot Markets
AbstractWhen analyzing a Cournot market with strictly convex costs dependent on a private information parameter, do we err more by ignoring market power or by ignoring the impact of incomplete information? Is the welfare loss at the market outcome driven by private information or by market power? The answer to both questions is that in large enough markets, abstracting from market power provides a much better approximation than abstracting from private information. Let n index the size of the market and the (free entry) number of firms. Then the effect of market power (private information) is of the order of 1/n (1/√n) for prices and 1/n
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nisvan Erkal & Daniel Piccinin, 2006. "Horizontal Mergers with Free Entry in Differentiated Oligopolies," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 976, The University of Melbourne.
- Paolo Coccorese, 2010. "Information Exchange as a Means of Collusion: The Case of the Italian Car Insurance Market," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 55-70, March.
- Tunca, Tunay I., 2008. "Information precision and asymptotic efficiency of industrial markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(9-10), pages 964-996, September.
- Kovalenkov, Alex & Vives, Xavier, 2008.
"Competitive Rational Expectations Equilibria Without Apology,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7025, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Vives, Xavier, 2014. "Competitive rational expectations equilibria without apology," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 211-235.
- Alexander Kovalenkov & Xavier Vives, 2008. "Competitive Rational Expectations Equilibria without Apology," CESifo Working Paper Series 2446, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tunay I. Tunca, 2004. "Information Precision and Asymptotic Efficiency of Industrial Markets," Working Papers 04-11, NET Institute, revised Oct 2004.
- Prabal Roy Chowdhury & Kunal Sengupta, 2010.
"Transparency, Complementarity and Holdout,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
49-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Mariana Cunha & Paula Sarmento & Hélder Vasconcelos, 2014. "Uncertain Efficiency Gains and Merger Policy," FEP Working Papers 527, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Banal-Estanol, Albert & Heidhues, Paul & Nitsche, Rainer & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2009.
"Screening and Merger Activity,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
270, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Iván Major, 2006. "Why do (or do not) banks share customer information? A comparison of mature private credit markets and markets in transition," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0603, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 24 Apr 2006.
- Doyle, Martin W. & Yates, Andrew J., 2010. "Stream ecosystem service markets under no-net-loss regulation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 820-827, February.
- Basso, Leonardo J. & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "On the relationship between airport pricing models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 725-735, November.
- Banal-Estanol, Albert, 2007.
"Information-sharing implications of horizontal mergers,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 31-49, February.
- Albert Banal-Esta?l, 2002. "Information-Sharing Implications of Horizontal Mergers," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 544.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- DE BORGER, Bruno & FOSGERAU, Mogens, 2011.
"Information provision by regulated public transport companies,"
2011012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- De Borger, Bruno & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2012. "Information provision by regulated public transport companies," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 492-510.
- De Borger, Bruno & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2012. "Information provision by regulated public transport companies," MPRA Paper 42267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cooper, James C. & Wright, Joshua D., 2012. "Alcohol, antitrust, and the 21st Amendment: An empirical examination of post and hold laws," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 379-392.
- Davidson, Carl & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2007. "Horizontal mergers with free entry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 157-172, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.