An Empirical Exploration of a Technology Race
AbstractAn extensive theoretical literature examines technological competition, and in particular whether leaders maintain their standing. These models, however, have received little empirical support. I examine innovation in the disk drive industry, an environment particularly conducive to identifying racing behavior. Strategic variables prove significant in explaining the decision to innovate. The patterns are in accord with Reinganum's work: firms that trail the leader innovate more. I add controls for technological opportunity, financing constraints, and firm turnover. When firms manufacture drives for internal use or there are many entrants, and strategic interactions may be less important, the effects are less pronounced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gilbert, Richard J, 2007.
"Competition and Innovation,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt9xh5p5p9, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- April Mitchell Franco & Darren Filson, 2000.
"Knowledge Diffusion through Employee Mobility,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-61, Claremont Colleges.
- Ufuk Akcigit & William R. Kerr, 2010.
"Growth through Heterogeneous Innovations,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
10-035, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Akcigit, Ufuk & Kerr, William R., 2013. "Growth through heterogeneous innovations," Research Discussion Papers 28/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Ufuk Akcigit & William R. Kerr, 2012. "Growth Through Heterogeneous Innovations," Working Papers 12-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ufuk Akcigit & William R. Kerr, 2010. "Growth Through Heterogeneous Innovations," NBER Working Papers 16443, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schroth, Enrique & Szalay, Dezsö, 2008.
"Cash Breeds Success : The Role of Financing Constraints in Patent Races,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
873, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Enrique Schroth & Dezsö Szalay, 2010. "Cash Breeds Success: The Role of Financing Constraints in Patent Races," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 14(1), pages 73-118.
- Enrique Schroth & Dezsö Szalay, 2005. "Cash breeds Success: The Role of Financing Constraints in Patent Races," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 05.11, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Cohen, Linda R. & Ishii, Jun, 2005.
"Competition, Innovation and Racing for Priority at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office,"
- Linda R. Cohen & Jun Ishii, 2005. "Competition, Innovation and Racing for Priority at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office," Working Papers 050604, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Darren Filson & Richard T. Gretz, 2003.
"Strategic Innovation and Technology Adoption in an Evolving Industry,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2003-08, Claremont Colleges.
- Filson, Darren & Gretz, Richard T., 2004. "Strategic innovation and technology adoption in an evolving industry," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 89-121, January.
- Carroll, Glenn R. & McKendrick, David & Harrison, J. Richard & Teo, Albert C. Y. & Barnett, William P., 2004. "Differentiation, Variation and Selection: Evolutionary Implications of Technical Change among the Worldwide Population of Hard Disk Drive Makers, 1965-1998," Research Papers 1915, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ajay Bhaskarabhatla & Enrico Pennings, 2012.
"Defensive Disclosure under Antitrust Enforcement,"
DRUID Working Papers
12-08, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Josh Lerner, 2002. "Boom and bust in the venture capital industry and the impact on innovation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 25-39.
- Darren Filson & April Mitchell Franco, . "Industry Evolution: New Technologies and New Firms," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 1999-15, Claremont Colleges.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.