The Importance of Patent Scope: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis article examines the impact of patent scope on firm value. I develop a proxy for patent scope based on the International Patent Classification scheme. Using a sample of 535 financing rounds at 173 privately held venture-backed biotechnology firms. I show that the breadth of patent protection significantly affects valuations. A one standard deviation increase in average patent scope is associated with a 21% increase in the firm's value. Broad patents are more valuable when substitutes in the same product class are plentiful, a finding consistent with theoretical suggestions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco, Alan, 2001.
"The Option Value of Patent Litigation: Theory and Evidence,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
52, Vassar College Department of Economics, revised Dec 2003.
- Marco, Alan C., 2005. "The option value of patent litigation: Theory and evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 323-351.
- Christoph Ernst & Katharina Richter & Nadine Riedel, 2013. "Corporate taxation and the quality of research & development," Working Papers 1301, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Dang, Jianwei & Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2012. "Patent value and liquidity: evidence from patent-collateralized loans in China," MPRA Paper 49547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco, Alan C. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2002.
"Complementarities and spill-overs in mergers: an empirical investigation using patent data,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt93s769k8, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Alan Marco & Gordon Rausser, 2011. "Complementarities and spillovers in mergers: an empirical investigation using patent data," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 207-231.
- Marco, Alan C. & Rausser, Gordon C, 2002. "Complementarities and spill-overs in mergers: an empirical investigation using patent data," CUDARE Working Paper Series 930R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Schettino, Francesco & Sterlacchini, Alessandro & Venturini, Francesco, 2008.
"Inventive Productivity and Patent Quality: Evidence from Italian Inventors,"
7765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schettino, Francesco & Sterlacchini, Alessandro & Venturini, Francesco, 2013. "Inventive productivity and patent quality: Evidence from Italian inventors," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1043-1056.
- Suzuki, Jun, 2011. "Structural modeling of the value of patent," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 986-1000, September.
- Dierker, Daniel A. & Phillips, Peter W.B., 2002. "The Butcher The Baker The Pharmaceutical Maker: Why The Agricultural Biotech Industry May Differ From The General Biotech Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19728, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brennan, Margaret F. & Pray, Carl E. & Courtmanche, Ann, 2000. "Impact Of Industry Concentration On Innovation In The U.S. Plant Biotech Industry," Proceedings:Transitions in Agbiotech: Economics of Strategy and Policy, June 24-25, 1999, Washington, D.C. 26008, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Ufuk Akcigit, 2009. "Firm Size, Innovation Dynamics and Growth," 2009 Meeting Papers 1267, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Marco, Alan C., 2006. "The Value of Certainty in Intellectual Property Rights: Stock Market Reactions to Patent Litigation," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 82, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Madhav S. Aney, 2012. "Conflict with Quitting Rights: A Mechanism Design Approach," Working Papers 18-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.