Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThis article calculates conduct parameters (or "conjectural variations") for a set of duopoly airline routes. We estimate the mean conduct parameter for each airline and draw inferences about whether Bertrand, Cournot, or cartel models are supported by the data. Some sensitivity analysis with respect to underlying parameters is also carried out. In general, we find that the Cournot model seems much more consistent with the data than either the Bertrand or cartel model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1998.
"Estimating a Mixed Strategy: United and American Airlines,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt2f36z7n1, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2002. "Estimating a Mixed Strategy: United and American Airlines," Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics, Working Paper Series qt5n84v67h, Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics of theInstitute for Research on Labor and Employment, UC Berkeley.
- Hsu, Chih-Chiang & Yau, Ruey & Wu, Jyun-Yi, 2009. "Asymmetric Exchange Rate Exposure and Industry Characteristics : Evidence from Japanese Data," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 50(1), pages 57-69, June.
- Robert A. Ritz, 2009. "Carbon leakage under incomplete environmental regulation: An industry-level approach," Economics Series Working Papers 461, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alexandre Manoel Angelo da Silva, 2001. "Setor Aéreo Doméstico Brasileiro: uma Função Custo," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 069, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Hugo Emilo Silva & Erik T. Verhoef & Vincent van den Berg, 2013. "Airline Route Structure Competition and Network Policy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-189/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Christopher Knittel & Dae-Wook Kim, 2005.
"Biases in Static Oligopoly Models?:Evidence from the California Electricity Market,"
526, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Dae-Wook Kim & Christopher R. Knittel, 2004. "Biases in Static Oligopoly Models? Evidence from the California Electricity Market," NBER Working Papers 10895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1996. "Estimating a mixed strategy employing maximum entropy," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt5rx8z14p, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Raymond Hartman, 2001. "Price-Performance Competition and the Merger Guidelines," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Lin, Ming Hsin, 2013. "Airport privatization in congested hub–spoke networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 51-67.
- Benoot, W. & Brueckner, J.K. & Proost, S., 2013. "Intercontinental-airport regulation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 56-72.
- Ciliberto, Federico & Williams, Jonathan, 2010. "Does Multimarket Contact Facilitate Tacit Collusion? Inference on Conjectural Parameters in the Airline Industry," MPRA Paper 24888, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.