Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries
AbstractWe examine investment by firms in 24 chemical product industries to determine whether firms invest preemptively to achieve persistent increases in market share or whether there is evidence of behavior to maintain market share. The data indicate that investment reduces the probability that rival firms will expand capacity, but the effect is temporary. Large firms tend to maintain market share, while smaller firms tend to invest simultaneously with rivals. The role of preemptive investment is limited to that of permitting a firm to invest with a lower probability of redundant investment by rivals. Preemption does not allow a persistent increase in market share, but instead acts as a means by which firms may coordinate capacity investment to help avoid episodes of industry overcapacity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
Other versions of this item:
- Gilbert, Richard J., 1987. "Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt51b0f7sq, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Richard J. Gilbert and Marvin Lieberman., 1987. "Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries," Economics Working Papers 8730, University of California at Berkeley.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kovenock, Dan & Phillips, Gordon M, 1997.
"Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 767-803.
- Kovenock, D. & Phillips, G.M., 1995. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 313.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Dan Kovenock & Gordon M Phillips, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Working Papers 95-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ulrich Doraszelski & Mark Satterthwaite & Lauren Xiaoyuan Lu & David Besanko, 2009. "Lumpy Capacity Investment and Disinvestment Dynamics," 2009 Meeting Papers 106, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 1998. "Learning from the Behavior of Others: Conformity, Fads, and Informational Cascades," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 151-170, Summer.
- Siddharthan, N. S. & Pandit, B. L., 1998. "Liberalisation and investment: behaviour of MNEs and large corporate firms in India," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 535-548, October.
- Mas, Nuria & Seinfeld, Janice, 2004.
"Is managed care restraining the adoption of technology by hospitals?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/554, IESE Business School.
- Mas, Núria & Seinfeld, Janice, 2008. "Is managed care restraining the adoption of technology by hospitals?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 1026-1045, July.
- Le Coq, Chloé & Sturluson, Jon Thor, 2012. "Does opponents’ experience matter? Experimental evidence from a quantity precommitment game," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 265-277.
- Steven C. Michael, 2009. "Entrepreneurial signaling to attract resources: the case of franchising," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 405-422.
- Bashyam, T. C. A., 1996. "Competitive capacity expansion under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 89-114, November.
- Polasky, Stephen & Mason, Charles F., 1998. "On the welfare effects of mergers: Short run vs. long run," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-24.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Johansson, Per & Bergman, M.A., 2002. "Large investments in the pulp and paper industry: a count data regression analysis," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-52.
- Ciaran Driver & Fabrice Goffinet, 1998. "Investment under Demand Uncertainty, Ex-Ante Pricing, and Oligopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 409-423, August.
- Besanko, David & Doraszelski, Ulrich & Lu, Lauren Xiaoyuan & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2010. "On the role of demand and strategic uncertainty in capacity investment and disinvestment dynamics," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 383-389, July.
- Darryl Seale & Amnon Rapoport, 2000. "Elicitation of Strategy Profiles in Large Group Coordination Games," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 153-179, October.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2006.
"Excessive(?) Entry of National Telecom Networks, 1990-2001,"
Wesleyan Economics Working Papers
2006-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2003. "Excessive(?) Entry of National Telecom Networks, 1990-2001," Working Papers 03-07, NET Institute.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
- Andrew Wood, 2005. "Investment interdependence and the coordination of lumpy investments: evidence from the British brick industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 37-49.
- Kofi Nti, 2000. "Potential competition and coordination in a market-entry game," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(2), pages 149-165, June.
- Mason, Charles F. & Phillips, Owen R., 2000. "An experimental evaluation of strategic preemption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "The Economics of Tacit Collusion," IDEI Working Papers 186, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Besanko, David & Doraszelski, Ulrich & Lu, Lauren Xiaoyuan & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2008. "Lumpy Capacity Investment and Disinvestment Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 6788, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.