von Stackelberg and Cournot Duopoly: Choosing Roles
AbstractUnder what circumstances will firms agree on the choice of roles of leader and follower in the von Stackelberg duopoly model? A key determinant is the slope of the firms' reaction function (in either price or quantity space). The duopolists will disagree over the choice of roles if they have downward-sloping reaction functions. Each will prefer to be the leader. They will also disagree if they have upward-sloping reaction functions and similar profit functions. Each will prefer that the other be the leader. Preferences between von Stackelberg and Cournot outcomes are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Bárcena-Ruiz & María Garzón, 2010. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly with semipublic firms," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 97-113, August.
- Mylovanov, Tymofiy, 2005. "First-mover disadvantage," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 127, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Luca Lambertini, 1995. "Cournot Vs Stackelberg Equilibria With Entrepreneurial and Labour Managed Firms," Working Papers 217, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alexander Schrader & Stephen Martin, 1998. "Vertical Market Participation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 321-331, June.
- Orlando I. Balboa & Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2001.
"Market Structure and the Demand for Free Trade,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0112, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Dec 2002.
- Hoffmann, Magnus & Rota Graziosi, Gregoire, 2010.
"Endogenous Timing in General Rent-Seeking and Conflict Models,"
24084, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hoffmann, Magnus & Rota-Graziosi, Grégoire, 2012. "Endogenous timing in general rent-seeking and conflict models," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 168-184.
- Grégoire Rota-Graziosi & Magnus Hoffmann, 2011. "Endogenous Timing in General Rent‐Seeking and Conflict Models," Working Papers halshs-00553119, HAL.
- Grégoire ROTA-GRAZIOSI & Magnus HOFFMANN, 2010. "Endogenous Timing in General Rent‐Seeking and Conflict Models," Working Papers 201024, CERDI.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik Verhoef, 2006. "Governmental Competition in Road Charging and Capacity Choice," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-036/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 10 Sep 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.