Long-Run Competition in Capacity, Short-Run Competition in Price, and the Cournot Model
AbstractIn this article we investigate the nature of equilibrium in markets in which firms choose the scale of operation before they make pricing decisions. We analyze a duopoly model in which firms choose their capacities before engaging in Bertrand-like price competition. We demonstrate that the Cournot outcome is unlikely to emerge in such markets and that the equilibrium tends to be more competitive than the Cournot model would predict. In addition, our results indicate a tendency toward asymmetric firm sizes and price dispersion that results from the mixed strategies firms use in equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baik, Kyung Hwan, 1995. "Horizontal mergers of price-setting firms with sunk capacity costs," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 245-256.
- Bakó, Barna & Tasnádi, Attila, 2014.
"A Kreps-Scheinkman állítás érvényessége lineáris keresletű vegyes duopóliumok esetén
[The Kreps and Scheinkman result remains valid for mixed duopolies with linear demand]," MPRA Paper 52746, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pietri, Antoine & Tazdaït, Tarik & Vahabi, Mehrdad, 2013.
"Empire-building and price competition,"
44368, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bakó, Barna & Tasnádi, Attila, 2014. "The Kreps-Scheinkman game in mixed duopolies," MPRA Paper 52986, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Charalambos Christou & Rossitsa Kotseva & Nikolaos Vettas, 2009. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," Discussion Paper Series 2009_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.