Dealer and Manufacturer Margins
AbstractWhen retail dealers carry only one product line, the size of the dealer margin is crucial in the success of both the manufacturer and the dealer. This article proposes a successive monopoly model of patterns in exclusive dealer and manufacturer margins across a product line. The predictions of the model then are compared with the pricing practices of a major U.S. automobile manufacturer and its dealers. The data support a special case of our theory. Our analysis also indicates that we cannot reject the hypothesis that the retail demand curves for these models are (locally) linear. Finally, we use the margin data to provide updated evidence on the extent to which retail prices depart from list price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1985)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2006.
"A decomposition of the sources of incomplete cross-border transmission,"
250, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2005. "A Decomposition of the Sources of Incomplete Cross-Border Transmission," 2005 Meeting Papers 805, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Copeland, Adam & Hall, George J., 2005.
"Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year,"
2, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2005. "Prices, production, and inventories over the automotive model year," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- George Hall & Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn, 2005. "Prices, Production, and Inventories Over the Automotive Model Year," 2005 Meeting Papers 346, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2005. "Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year," NBER Working Papers 11257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maura P. Doyle, 1997. "The effects of interest rates and taxes on new car prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stijn FERRARI & Frank VERBOVEN, 2010.
"Vertical control of a distribution network - an empirical analysis of magazines,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces10.19, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Stijn Ferrari & Frank Verboven, 2012. "Vertical control of a distribution network—an empirical analysis of magazines," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 43(1), pages 26-50, 03.
- Ferrari, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Vertical Control of a Distribution Network - An Empirical Analysis of Magazines," CEPR Discussion Papers 7832, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ferrari, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Vertical control of a distribution network - an empirical analysis of magazines," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/268076, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Rebecca Hellerstein & Sofia Berto Villas-Boas, 2006. "Arm's-length transactions as a source of incomplete cross-border transmission: the case of autos," Staff Reports 251, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Barron, Patrick & Olken, Benjamin, 2007.
"The Simple Economics of Extortion: Evidence from Trucking in Aceh,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benjamin A. Olken & Patrick Barron, 2009. "The Simple Economics of Extortion: Evidence from Trucking in Aceh," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(3), pages 417-452, 06.
- Benjamin A. Olken & Patrick Barron, 2007. "The Simple Economics of Extortion: Evidence from Trucking in Aceh," NBER Working Papers 13145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Walter A Cont, 2001. "Essays on Contract Design: Delegation and Agency Problems, and Monitoring Under Collusion," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000122, David K. Levine.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2004. "Who Bears the Cost of a Change in the Exchange Rate?," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 589, Econometric Society.
- Rebecca Hellerstein, 2004. "Who bears the cost of a change in the exchange rate? The case of imported beer," Staff Reports 179, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.