Self-Selection by Contractual Choice and the Theory of Sharecropping
AbstractThere are definite patterns for the organization of production on agricultural land. Production of some crops tends to be organized via wage contracts, while land sown to other crops tends to be rented, and still other crops are frequently sharecropped. One popular explanation is that contractual choice in agriculture is related to the riskiness of production. Sharecropping, according to this argument, is used with the most risky crops to facilitate risk spreading in a world with incomplete insurance markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1978)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Assunção, Juliano Junqueira & Moreira, Humberto Ataíde, 2004.
"Land taxes in a Latin American context,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
526, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Jaideep Roy & Konstantinos Serfes, 2000.
"Intertemporal Discounting and Tenurial Contracts,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
00-01, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Rinku Murgai & Saeed Ur Rehman, 2004.
"Monopoly Power and Distribution in Fragmented Markets: The Case of Groundwater,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 783-808.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Rinku Murgai & Saeed Rehman, 2004. "Monopoly Power and Distribution in Fragmented Markets: The Case of Groundwater," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 783-808, 07.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Murgai, Rinku & Rehman, Saeed Ur, 2001. "Monopoly power and distribution in fragmented markets : the case of groundwater," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2628, The World Bank.
- Juliano J. Assunção, 2008. "Rural Organization and Land Reform in Brazil: The Role of Nonagricultural Benefits of Landholding," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 851-870.
- Jain, Tarun & Sood, Ashima, 2012. "How does relationship-based governance accommodate new entrants? Evidence from the cycle rickshaw rental market," MPRA Paper 37424, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Affuso, L., 2000. "Intra-Firm Retail Contracting: Survey Evidence from the UK'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0022, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Juliano Junqueira Assunção, 2005. "Non-agricultural land use and land reform: theory and evidence from Brazil," Textos para discussÃ£o 496, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Assuncao, Juliano, 2006. "Land Reform and Landholdings in Brazil," Working Paper Series RP2006/137, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rizov, Marian, 2002. "Agricultural Production Organization in Transition Economies and the Role of Human Capital: Evidence from Romania," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24925, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jaideep Roy & Konstantinos Serfes, 2000. "Strategic Choice of Contract Lengths in Agriculture," Department of Economics Working Papers 00-03, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Ananish Chaudhuri & Pushkar Maitra, 1997. "Determinants of Land Tenure Contracts; Theory and Evidence from Rural India," Departmental Working Papers 199710, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Roumasset, James A., 1994. "Explaining Diversity In Agricultural Organization: An Agency Perspective," Bulletins 12982, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Jean-Louis ARCAND & Mbolatiana DE MONTALEMBERT RAMBONILAZA, 1999. "Is Adverse Selection Relevant? Spence-Mirlees Meets the Tunisian Peasant," Working Papers 199923, CERDI.
- Ananish Chaudhuri, 1997. "A Dynamic Model of Contractual Choice in Tenancy," Departmental Working Papers 199711, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"A theory of sharecropping: the role of price behavior and imperfect competition,"
14898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2011. "A theory of sharecropping: The role of price behavior and imperfect competition," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 181-199.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2009. "A theory of sharecropping: the role of price behavior and imperfect competition," MPRA Paper 19021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hurrelmann, Annette, 2002. "How to Approach a Market? A Theoretical Concept for Defining and Describing Land Markets," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24887, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Debapriya Sen, 2005. "Sharecropping, interlinkage, and price variation," Department of Economics Working Papers 05-10, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Elliott, Matthew & James Jr., Harvey, 2013. "Nature Of The Farm: Revisited," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150726, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rizov, Marian, 2003. "Human Capital And The Agrarian Structure In Transition: Micro Evidence From Romania," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25823, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.