Peak Load Pricing in the Electric Utility Industry
AbstractIn the electric utility industry cost minimization requires that heterogeneous electric generation technologies be used to produce electricity demands of different durations. In contrast to the conclusions of traditional peak-load pricing theory, the existence of a heterogeneous capital stock means that off-peak marginal cost prices almost always should include some marginal capacity costs, and that the profit maximizing regulated electric utility may set peak price above marginal cost and off-peak price below marginal cost in order to encourage the expansion of capital-intensive base load generating capacity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1976)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- N. Vijayamohanan Pillai, 2003. "A contribution to peak load pricing theory and application," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 346, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- John G. Riley & Charles R. Scherer, 1976. "Optimal Water Pricing with Cyclical Supply and Demand," UCLA Economics Working Papers 077, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Porat, Yigal & Irith, Rotlevi & Turvey, Ralph, 1997. "Long-run marginal electricity generation costs in Israel," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 401-411, March.
- Friedman, Lee S., 2011. "The importance of marginal cost electricity pricing to the success of greenhouse gas reduction programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7347-7360.
- José Pablo Arellano, 2004. "Principios para Tarificar la Transmisión Eléctrica," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 41(123), pages 231-253.
- Ted Bergstrom & Jeff Mackie-Mason, . "The Simple Analytics of Peak-Load Pricing," Papers _035, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.