Efficiency and Competition in the Airline Industry
AbstractAfter reviewing some recent developments in the airline industry, this article tests two hypotheses that were central to the argument for deregulation: (1) that CAB regulation caused airlines to employ excess capacity relative to the capacity that would be provided under unregulated competition; and (2) that potential competition would keep fares at cost even in highly concentrated markets. An econometric analysis of these hypotheses based on postderegulation data suggests that the excess capacity hypothesis is essentially confirmed. In contrast, the pattern of fares in late 1980 and early 1981 does not support the potential competition hypothesis that fares are independent of market concentration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- N Dryden & Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1996.
"What Makes Firms Perform Well?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0308, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Capozza, Claudia, 2013.
"Airline Pricing Behaviour under Limited Intermodal Competition,"
48892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Nov 2013.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012. "Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition," Working Papers 1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- repec:fth:prinin:247 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2008.
"Domestic Rivalry and Export Performances: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2008-12, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2009. "Domestic rivalry and export performance: theory and evidence from international airline markets," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 440-468, May.
- Clougherty, Joseph A & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "Domestic Rivalry and Export Performance: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "Domestic Rivalry and Export Performance: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 225, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Audretsch, David B. & Baumol, William J. & Burke, Andrew E., 2001. "Competition policy in dynamic markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 613-634, April.
- Manuela, Wilfred Jr., 2007. "Airline liberalization effects on fare: The case of the Philippines," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 161-167, February.
- Abraham Dunn, 2007.
"Do Low-Quality Products Affect High-Quality Entry? Multiproduct Firms and Nonstop Entry in Airline Markets,"
EAG Discussions Papers
200712, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Dunn, Abe, 2008. "Do low-quality products affect high-quality entry? Multiproduct firms and nonstop entry in airline markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1074-1089, September.
- Jurkus, Anthony F. & Park, Jung Chul & Woodard, Lorraine S., 2011. "Women in top management and agency costs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 180-186, February.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Kang, Jun-Koo & Wang, Jin, 2011. "Employee treatment and firm leverage: A test of the stakeholder theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 130-153, April.
- Joanna Stavins, 1996. "Price discrimination in the airline market: the effect of market concentration," Working Papers 96-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Basant, Rakesh & Mishra, Pulak, . "Concentration and Other Determinants of Innovative Efforts in Indian Manufacturing Sector: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-02-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Lee, Darin & Singer, Ethan S., 2013. "Airline competition and domestic US airfares: A comprehensivereappraisal," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-17.
- Michael D. Whinston & Scott C. Collins, 1990. "Entry, Contestability, and Deregulated Airline Markets: An Event Study Analysis of People Express," NBER Working Papers 3318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard V. Butler & John H. Huston, 1989. "Merger Mania and Airline Fares," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 7-16, Jan-Mar.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.