Are investor sentiments priced by the CAPM?
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate whether the international version of CAPM can price rational and irrational sentiments of U.S. individual and institutional investor sentiments. The results show that the CAPM prices rational sentiments driven by fundamentals and irrational sentiments not driven by rational risk factors in the case of the U.S. institutional investors. We check our results by additionally estimating a non-equilibrium-based model, such as a fundamental market model, and find similar results. This indicates that irrational sentiments of institutional investors are significantly positively related to returns predicted, as well as those not predicted by the CAPM. We also compare these findings with the response of actual DJIA and S&P 500 returns to individual and institutional investor sentiments and find that CAPM does a partial job by capturing only institutional investor sentiments. These results are consistent with the view that the studies that use an equilibrium-based asset-pricing model such as CAPM need to factor in institutional investors’ cognitive factors to better capture the return generating processes.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
investor sentiment; CAPM; asset pricing; asset pricing model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.