Threshold relationships among inflation, financial development, and growth
AbstractThis paper tests for and estimates relationships among inflation, financial market development (FMD), and growth. This trivariate relationship changes across a statistically robust inflation threshold of about 14%. Below 14%, the relationship between growth and FMD is positive; above 14%, the relationship between growth and inflation is negative. The interaction between FMD and inflation has a significant impact, however: below 14% there is a positive correlation between growth and inflation, but marginal increases in inflation impair the relationship between growth and FMD; above 14% marginal increases in inflation have little or no impact on this relationship. This suggests that the role of financial markets as a channel of economic growth is important and changes with the level of inflation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 17 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
inflation; financial development; growth; threshold effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eggoh, Jude C. & Khan, Muhammad, 2014. "On the nonlinear relationship between inflation and economic growth," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 133-143.
- William Miles & Samuel Schreyer, 2009. "Inflation Costs, Uncertainty Costs And Emerging Markets," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 169-183, December.
- Phiri, Andrew, 2013. "Inflation and Economic Growth in Zambia: A Threshold Autoregressive (TAR) Econometric Approach," MPRA Paper 52093, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.