Trade Blocks and the Gravity Model: A Study of Economic Integration among Asian Developing Countries
AbstractThis paper analyzes the trade creation and trade diversion effects of the regional trade agreements (RTAs) in Asia and their effects on intra-regional trade flows using annual trade data for the period 1980-2009. The research will attempt to achieve the following objectives: (a) analyze the major RTAs in Asia and their effects on intra-regional trade flows. (b) use a gravity model to estimate the trade creation and trade diversion effects of various RTAs on trade flows within and across member groups; and (c) measure the effect of RTAs on members’ trade with other Asian countries. The findings of this study are, for the most part, consistent with findings of previous studies on the Asian trade flows. The coefficients of real GDP, population, and distance had expected signs and magnitudes in all models estimated.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Trade Blocks; Gravity Model; Intra-Regional Trade; Asia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Deluna, Roperto Jr, 2013. "Trade Performance and Potential of the Philippines: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Gravity Model," MPRA Paper 51677, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deluna, Roperto Jr & Cruz, Edgardo, 2014. "Philippine Export Efficiency and Potential: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Gravity Model," MPRA Paper 53580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.