More Intra-Region Direct Investment through Economic Integration? Modelling the Experience of the EU’s Single Market
AbstractI apply the fixed versus variable cost trade-off associated with a multinational firm’s choice between investing abroad and exporting to a setting where the multinational is located inside an economically integrating region. I find that reducing obstacles to investment unambiguously favours setting up plants. When trade barriers decrease, typically, there will be consolidation of investment or a switch to exports. If, however, distance to destination markets matters for the multinational, export platform investment in one country will be induced. This highlights that export platform investment may be a supply option even inside an integrating region once countries are not assumed to be homogenous. Overall, the predictions of the model are indicative of some of the developments in trade and direct investment among EU countries during the Single Market Programme.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Multinational Firm; Foreign Direct Investment; Trade; Regional Economic Integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.