The J-Curve: Evidence from East Asia
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of trade balances of seven East Asian countries, using cointegration technique, error correction model, and impulse response function. Among other things, our investigation confirms the existence of J-curve effect and the results show that there are significant differences in the duration and the extent of the J-curve effect across countries. Several explanations consistent with those findings are advanced in the paper, including differences in exchange rate and trade regimes across sample countries. It is likely that liberalization of an exchange rate regime coupled with liberalization of trade may act to dampen the J-curve effect.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): ()
trade; economic development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ivrendi, Mehmet & Yildirim, Zekeriya, 2013. "Monetary policy shocks and macroeconomic variables: Evidence from fast growing emerging economies," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-61, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Satawatananon, Kaveepot, 2010. "US-Thailand trade at the commodity level and the role of the real exchange rate," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 514-525, December.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hanafiah Harvey, 2012. "How responsive are Indonesia's bilateral inpayments and outpayments to real depreciation of Rupiah?," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 133-143, June.
- Hsing, Yu, 2009. "Test of the J-curve for the DR-CAFTA countries and policy implications," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 293-301, September.
- Huseyin Kalyoncu & Ilhan Ozturk & Seyfettin Artan & Kahraman Kalyoncu, 2009. "Devaluation and trade balance in Latin American countries," Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta u Rijeci/Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka, Faculty of Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 115-128.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.