Vertical and Horizontal Intra Industry Trade in Some Asian and Latin American Less Developed Countries
AbstractA casual look at the intra industry trade (IIT) data of eighteen Asian and Latin American less developed countries show that for them (a) vertical IIT overwhelmingly dominates horizontal IIT and (b) manufactured goods (SITC 6) is one of the two commodity categories (the other being machine and transport equipments (SITC 7)) for which IIT is relatively high. A theoretical model consistent which these observation is constructed and suggests the hypothesis that the level of economic development is a determining character for such kind of trade. Returning to the raw data set we find that such a relationship can indeed be established . Though the overall relationship clearly holds, there are major fluctuations with in the sample and the overall growth rate of IIT falls with increasing levels of economic development.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): ()
intra industry trade; vertical product differentiation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "Intra-industry Trade of Transition Countries: Trends and Determinants," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-566, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.