Production and the Trade Balance in a Small Open Economy
AbstractThe trade balance is built directly into a factor proportions model of produc - tion. A wealth stockpile of the exported good is maintained, growing when the small open economy has a surplus and shrinking with a deficit. Income and prices determine consumption of exports and imports, while production adjusts to maintain full employment and competitive pricing. The trade balance effects of an import tariff and an export subsidy (equivalently, a devaluation) depend on factor intensity, factor substitution, demand, and factor endowments. Chang - ing factor endowments have no net effect on the trade balance, a reflection of factor price equalization.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): ()
trade balance; small open economy; tariff; subsidy; factor endowments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jong Eun Lee, 2004. "The sequential issue in free trade areas: Policy implication for Korea," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 165-174.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.