Contrazione fiscale e crescita della produzione: il ruolo del settore estero e dei tassi di interes¬se nel caso dell’Irlanda - Fiscal contraction and output expansion: the role of the foreign sector and interest rates in the case of Ireland
AbstractThe fiscal contraction undertaken in Ireland in the late 80’s has received attention in the literature since it was followed by an expansion of aggregate demand and production. This has been considered an effect of the expectations of a lower future tax burden, which boosted private consumption. This paper analyses the outcome from a different perspective, suggesting that the decrease in interest rates and the increase in foreign demand played a central role in the rise in private demand. The “consumption puzzle” found in previous studies can actually be explained to a large extent by the unanticipated changes in interest rates and international competiveness.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 50 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.