“External Debt and Growth in Pacific Island Countries
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between external debt and economic growth in Fiji during a 30-year period (1970-2005). Applying the bound testing approach of Pesaran et al., (2001), it is found that the long-run relationship runs from external debt to economic growth. Whilst both external debt and budget deficit had a negative impact on economic growth, exports of goods and services positively influenced growth. The Granger causality test results reveal the existence in the short-run of a bi-directional linkage between external debt and growth. The study conclusion is that Fiji would benefit from channeling its future external borrowings into activities promoting exports of goods and services, in which the country has a clear comparative advantage, rather than for consumption; by so doing the likelihood of any debt overhang can be avoided.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 61 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
External Debt; Economic Growth; Exports; Bound Test; Causality; Debt Overhang;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.