El sujeto económico y la racionalidad en Adam Smith
AbstractThe assumption of rationality is central in current economic theory. This hypothesis is the pillar for the creation of the homo economicus of conventional theory. Starting with Adam Smith’s approach to rationality, the aim of this paper is to contribute to the discussion of the main characteristics of the individual underlying the rational man of economics and their implications for economic analysis. The meaning of rationality in several authors is reexamined and it is argued that the basis of Adam Smith’s work are still valid.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía in its journal Revista de Economía Institucional.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 21 (July-December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
behavior; egoism; homo economicus;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B0 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon,Herbert A., 2009. "An Empirically-Based Microeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521118361, December.
- Jorge M. Streb, 1998. "El Significado de Racionalidad en Economía," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 139, Universidad del CEMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.