Du déclassement professionnel à la désaffection pour le métier. Le cas des producteurs laitiers du Marais Poitevin
Abstract[paper in French] The article describes the signs of both a professional and an identity crisis that dairy producers in the Marais Poitevin are going through. The analysis of relationship with work, its content – milking in particular – and its compensation, has proven useful in highlighting the disaffection they have with their occupation. When desertion reaches a certain threshold, the foundations of a professional reproduction crisis are laid. Some of the specifically local features of the profession explain the sociological reasons behind this crisis. In an unfavourable economic context which highlights the limits of the current dairy production model, the local ideological and institutional context hardly helps to encourage detachment from the standard technical model. The study also revealed that comparisons made with the professional situations of cereal farmers also led to abandonment. The competition (economic and symbolic) of cereal farming, accentuates the impression of professional relegation. The occupational depreciation encountered is the result of a gradual decline in status of this professional segment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INRA Department of Economics in its journal Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
dairy farmers; professional crisis; relationship with work; professional relegation; professional segmentation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Grignon, 1982. "Professionnalisation et transformation de la hiérarchie sociale des agriculteurs," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 152(1), pages 61-66.
- C. Grignon, 1981. "Les conditions sociales de l'intensification," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 146(1), pages 3-13.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.