Foreign Aid, External Debt and Economic Growth Nexus in Low-Income Countries: The Role of Institutional Quality
AbstractInstitutional quality plays an important role in promoting economic development of a nation. Foreign capital can work efficiently and its productivity will be high if the quality of institution is good. This study attempts to investigate empirically the impact of external debt and foreign aid on economic growth by taking into consideration the quality of institution in terms of effective governance. Annual data for the period 1984 to 2010 has been taken from a panel of sixty developing countries. Empirical results indicate that the good governance and foreign aid affect the economic growth positively while that of external debt has a negative impact. These results are robust for various alternative specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Foreign Aid; External Debt; Economic Growth; Governance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Unbreen Qayyum & Hasan Siftain, 2014. "Governance and the Effectiveness of Foreign Capital," PIDE-Working Papers 2014:98, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.