The influence of policy instruments on manufacturing Direct Foreign investment in developing countries
AbstractForty-four economic, social, political and policy variables are tested for their significance in discriminating among three groups of developing countries designated “unattractive,” “moderately attractive,” and “highly attractive” with respect to foreign investment in manufacturing. Among the six essential discriminators, the only policy variable to emerge is the corpoarte tax level.© 1978 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1978) 9, 81–94
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 9 (1978)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George Peng & Paul Beamish, 2008. "The Effect of National Corporate Responsibility Environment on Japanese Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 80(4), pages 677-695, July.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Appiah-Adu, Kwaku, 1999. "The impact of economic reform on business performance: A study of foreign and domestic firms in Ghana," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 463-486, August.
- Tihanyi, Laszlo & Ellstrand, Alan E., 1998. "The involvement of board of directors and institutional investors in investing in transition economies: An agency theory approach," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 337-351, December.
- Kashlak, Roger, 1998. "Establishing financial targets for joint ventures in emerging countries: A conceptual model," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 241-258, November.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Luiz, John Manuel & Charalambous, Harris, 2009.
"Factors influencing foreign direct investment of South African financial services firms in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 305-317, June.
- John Luiz & Harry Charalambouse, 2009. "Factors Influencing Foreign Direct Investment of South African Financial Services Firms in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 118, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Uður Karakaplan & Bilin Neyaptý & Selin Sayek, 2005.
"Aid and Foreign Direct Investment : International Evidence,"
Departmental Working Papers
0505, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Ugur Karakaplan & Bilin Neyapti & Selin Sayek, 2005. "Aid and Foreign Direct Investment: International Evidence," Working Papers 2005/12, Turkish Economic Association.
- Louis T., Jr. Wells & Nancy J. Allen & Jacques Morisset & Neda Pirnia, 2001. "Using Tax Incentives to Compete for Foreign Investment : Are They Worth the Costs?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13979, March.
- Koray Kiymaz & Leon Taylor, 1998.
"Competition for foreign direct investment when countries are not sure of site values,"
9812001, EconWPA, revised 23 Dec 1998.
- Kiymaz, Koray & Taylor, Leon, 2000. "Competition for foreign direct investment when countries are not sure of site values," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Deepak Sethi & William Judge & Qian Sun, 2011. "FDI distribution within China: An integrative conceptual framework for analyzing intra-country FDI variations," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 325-352, June.
- Brewer, Thomas L., 1991. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries : patterns, policies, and prospects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 712, The World Bank.
- Isabel Faeth, 2005. "Determinants of FDI in Australia : Which Theory Can Explain it Best?," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 946, The University of Melbourne.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Morrisset, Jacques & Pirnia, Neda, 2000. "How tax policy and incentives affect foreign direct investment - a review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2509, The World Bank.
- Sethi, Deepak & Guisinger, Stephen & Ford, David L. & Phelan, Steven E., 2002. "Seeking greener pastures: a theoretical and empirical investigation into the changing trend of foreign direct investment flows in response to institutional and strategic factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 685-705, December.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.