Born global or born regional? Evidence from an exploratory study in the Costa Rican software industry
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence about born-global firms in the software industry of a small developing country with an open economy: Costa Rica. The paper is based on data collected through interviews with CEOs or founders of 40 Costa Rican software companies. Findings show that there are few born-global firms among Costa Rican software providers. We find that most companies followed a gradual approach to internationalization, and they did not export immediately upon birth. A careful analysis of firms that exported soon after they were born reveals that most firms are actually “born regional.”
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bangara, Athena & Freeman, Susan & Schroder, William, 2012. "Legitimacy and accelerated internationalisation: An Indian perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 623-634.
- Ciravegna, Luciano, 2011. "Technological learning in the Silicon Valleys of Latin America," MPRA Paper 36832, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & McDougall, Patricia P. & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 2011. "The emergence, advance and future of international entrepreneurship research — An introduction to the special forum," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 625-631.
- Jones, Marian V. & Coviello, Nicole & Tang, Yee Kwan, 2011. "International Entrepreneurship research (1989–2009): A domain ontology and thematic analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 632-659.
- Ciravegna, Luciano & Lopez, Luis & Kundu, Sumit, 2014. "Country of origin and network effects on internationalization: A comparative study of SMEs from an emerging and developed economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 916-923.
- Sahaym, Arvin & Nam, Daeil, 2013. "International diversification of the emerging-market enterprises: A multi-level examination," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 421-436.
- Kiss, Andreea N. & Danis, Wade M. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2012. "International entrepreneurship research in emerging economies: A critical review and research agenda," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 266-290.
- Dimitratos, Pavlos & Plakoyiannaki, Emmanuella & Pitsoulaki, Antigoni & Tüselmann, Heinz Josef, 2010. "The global smaller firm in international entrepreneurship," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 589-606, December.
- Wagner, Rodrigo & Zahler, Andrés, 2011.
"New exports from emerging markets: do followers benefit from pioneers ?,"
30312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rodrigo Wagner & Andrés Zahler, 2011. "New Exports from Emerging Markets:Do Followers Beneit from Pioneers ?," Working Papers 18, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Mathieu Cabrol & Frédéric Nlemvo, 2012. "Diversité de comportement des entreprises nouvelles et internationales : essai de validation d'une typologie," Post-Print hal-00951320, HAL.
- Carneiro, Jorge & Brenes, Esteban R., 2014. "Latin American firms competing in the global economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 831-836.
- Cannone, Giusy & Ughetto, Elisa, 2014. "Born globals: A cross-country survey on high-tech start-ups," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 272-283.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & Onkelinx, Jonas, 2014. "International commitment, post-entry growth and survival of international new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 106-120.
- Sui, Sui & Yu, Zhihao & Baum, Matthias, 2012. "Prevalence and Longitudinal Trends of Early Internationalisation Patterns among Canadian SMEs," MPRA Paper 41177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ciravegna, Luciano & Majano, Sara B. & Zhan, Ge, 2014. "The inception of internationalization of small and medium enterprises: The role of activeness and networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1081-1089.
- John Butler & Robert Doktor & Frederick Lins, 2010. "Linking international entrepreneurship to uncertainty, opportunity discovery, and cognition," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 121-134, June.
- Oh, Chang Hoon & Rugman, Alan M., 2012. "Regional integration and the international strategies of large European firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 493-507.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.