Location and the multinational enterprise: A neglected factor?
AbstractThis article first traces the changing world economic scenario for international business over the past two decades, and then goes on to examine its implications for the location of foreign direct investment and multinational enterprise activity. It suggests that many of the explanations of the 1970s and early 1980s need to be modified as firm-specific assets have become mobile across natural boundaries. A final section of the article examines the dynamic interface between the value-added activities of multinational enterprises in different locations. Journal of International Business Studies (2009) 40, 5–19. doi:10.1057/jibs.2008.74
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ulrike Mayrhofer & Ana Colovic, 2009. "Optimising the Global Value Chain: An Analysis of the Automobile Industry," Post-Print halshs-00690207, HAL.
- Roza, Marja & Van den Bosch, Frans A.J. & Volberda, Henk W., 2011. "Offshoring strategy: Motives, functions, locations, and governance modes of small, medium-sized and large firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 314-323, June.
- Ketelhöhn, Niels W. & Quintanilla, Carlos, 2012. "Country effects on profitability: A multilevel approach using a sample of Central American firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(12), pages 1767-1772.
- Uddin, Moshfique & Boateng, Agyenim, 2011. "Explaining the trends in the UK cross-border mergers & acquisitions: An analysis of macro-economic factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 547-556, October.
- Hanane Beddi & Ulrike Mayrhofer, 2010. "The role of location in headquarters-subsidiaries relationships: An analysis of French multinationals in emerging markets," Post-Print halshs-00690213, HAL.
- Lusine Arzumanyan & Ulrike Mayrhofer & Christopher Melin, 2011. "Coordinating R&D activities in multinational companies: towards new tools and practices?," Post-Print halshs-00690220, HAL.
- Laura Resmini & Laura Casi, 2011. "The determinants of foreign direct investments: Regional vs. National characteristics," ERSA conference papers ersa10p466, European Regional Science Association.
- Pietro Moncada-Paterno-Castello & Peter Voigt & Marco Vivarelli, 2011. "Evolution of Globalised business R&D: Features, drivers, impacts," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-02, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Berrill, Jenny & Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm, 2011. "What is a multinational corporation? Classifying the degree of firm-level multinationality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-577, October.
- de Jong, Gjalt & Phan, T. Binh & van Ees, Hans, 2011. "Does the meta-environment determine firm performance? Theory and evidence from European multinational enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 454-465, August.
- Luljeta Hajderllari & Kostas Karantininis & Ole Bonnichsen, 2012. "Danish Farmers and Investors: An analysis of reasons and motivations for increasing cross-border agricultural activities in Central and Eastern European countries," IFRO Working Paper 2012/10, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Nepelski, Daniel & De Prato, Giuditta, 2012. "A network analysis of cities hosting ICT R&D," MPRA Paper 38796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Owen, Sian & Yawson, Alfred, 2013. "Information asymmetry and international strategic alliances," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3890-3903.
- Shieh, Bih-Lian & Wu, Tzong-Chen, 2012. "Equity-based entry modes of the Greater Chinese Economic Area's foreign direct investments in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 508-517.
- Anne HAMPTON & James ROWELL, 2013. "An Evolution in Research Practice for Investigating International Business Relationships," Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy Journal, College of Management, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, vol. 1(2), pages 161-177, August.
- Luljeta Hajderllari, 2012. "Actions with economic elements embedded in the social networks of Danish farmer investors abroad," IFRO Working Paper 2012/13, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Silvia Teuber & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2012. "How do companies adjust their organization to national institutions: evidence from matched-pair engineering companies," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0082, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Apr 2013.
- Hanane Beddi & Ulrike Mayrhofer, 2011. "Quel est l'impact de la localisation sur les relations siège-filiales des firmes multinationales ?," Post-Print halshs-00690219, HAL.
- Reuter, Ute & Burr, Wolfgang, 2011. "International market assessment: Site selection in service firms," Research Papers on Innovation, Services and Technology 2/2011, University of Stuttgart, Institute of Business Administration, Department I - Institute of Research & Development and Innovation Management.
- Boateng, Agyenim & Hua, Xiuping & Uddin, Moshfique & Du, Min, 2014. "Home country macroeconomic factors on outward cross-border mergers and acquisitions: Evidence from the UK," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 202-216.
- Kandogan, Yener, 2012. "Regional foreign direct investment potential of the states within the US," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 306-322.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.