International labor mobility and knowledge flow externalities
AbstractAlthough knowledge flows create value, the market often does not price them accordingly. We examine “unintended” knowledge flows that result from the cross-border movement of inventors (i.e., flows that result from the move, but do not go to the hiring firm). We find that the inventor's new country gains from her arrival above and beyond the knowledge flow benefits enjoyed by the firm that recruited her (National Learning by Immigration). Furthermore, the firm that lost the inventor also gains by receiving increased knowledge flows from that individual's new country and firm (Firm Learning from the Diaspora). Surprisingly, the latter effect is only twice as strong when the mover moves within the same multinational firm, suggesting that knowledge flows between inventors do not necessarily follow organizational boundaries, thus creating opportunities for public policy and firm strategy. Journal of International Business Studies (2008) 39, 1242–1260. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400358
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 8 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McAusland, Carol & Kuhn, Peter J., 2010.
"Bidding for Brains: Intellectual Property Rights and the International Migration of Knowledge Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4936, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McAusland, Carol & Kuhn, Peter, 2011. "Bidding for brains: Intellectual property rights and the international migration of knowledge workers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 77-87, May.
- Carol McAusland & Peter J. Kuhn, 2009. "Bidding for Brains: Intellectual Property Rights and the International Migration of Knowledge Workers," NBER Working Papers 15486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alireza Naghavi & Chiara Strozzi, 2011.
"Intellectual Property Rights, Migration, and Diaspora,"
2011.60, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Naghavi, Alireza & Strozzi, Chiara, 2011. "Intellectual Property Rights, Migration, and Diaspora," IZA Discussion Papers 5864, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- A. Naghavi & C. Strozzi, 2011. "Intellectual Property Rights, Migration, and Diaspora," Working Papers wp774, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alireza Naghavi & Chiara Strozzi, 2011. "Intellectual Property Rights, Migration, and Diaspora," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 068, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Lutz Schneider & Alexander Kubis & D. Wiest, 2010. "Selektivität, soziale Bindung und räumliche Mobilität –Eine Analyse der Rückkehrpräferenz," IWH Discussion Papers 17, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Nune Hovhannisyan & Wolfgang Keller, 2011.
"International Business Travel: An Engine of Innovation?,"
NBER Working Papers
17100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hovhannisyan, Nune & Keller, Wolfgang, 2010. "International Business Travel: An Engine of Innovation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”,"
AQR Working Papers
201308, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Oct 2013.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”," IREA Working Papers 201316, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Sonderegger, Petra & Täube, Florian, 2010. "Cluster life cycle and diaspora effects: Evidence from the Indian IT cluster in Bangalore," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 383-397, December.
- repec:wip:wpaper:7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wolfgang Keller, 2009.
"International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Technology Spillovers,"
NBER Working Papers
15442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2009. "International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Technology Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 7503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rashidi, Sheida & Pyka, Andreas, 2013. "Migration and innovation: A survey," FZID Discussion Papers 77-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde & Arts, Sam, 2011. "How to capture value from linking to science-driven basic research: boundary crossing inventors and partnerships," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/326213, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Kerr, William R. & Stanton, Christopher, 2013.
"Diasporas and outsourcing : evidence from oDesk and India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6403, The World Bank.
- Ejaz Ghani & William R. Kerr & Christopher T. Stanton, 2012. "Diasporas and Outsourcing: Evidence from oDesk and India," NBER Working Papers 18474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Fritz Foley & William R. Kerr, 2011. "Ethnic Innovation and U.S. Multinational Firm Activity," NBER Working Papers 17336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thulin, Per, 2009. "Labor Mobility, Knowledge Diffusion And Regional Growth," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 209, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Filatotchev, Igor & Liu, Xiaohui & Lu, Jiangyong & Wright, Mike, 2011. "Knowledge spillovers through human mobility across national borders: Evidence from Zhongguancun Science Park in China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 453-462, April.
- J. Herstad , Sverre & Ebersberger , Bernd & Asheim, Bjørn, 2013. "MNC affiliation, knowledge bases and involvement in global innovation networks," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/12, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.