Country image and consumer-based brand equity: relationships and implications for international marketing
AbstractThis paper examines the relationships between consumers’ country-level and product-level images of a country, and the equity they associate with a brand from that country, using canonical correlation analysis. Results from mall-intercept surveys conducted in an Australian state capital city indicated that the consumer-based equity of a brand was significantly associated with both the macro and micro images of the country of origin of the brand. The relationship between these two sets of constructs was found to be positive as well as product category specific. Furthermore, each consumer-based brand equity dimension contributed differently to the relationship according to the product category, while the contribution of both country image dimensions (macro and micro) was also product category specific. Results also showed that cars, as a product category, are more sensitive to country image than televisions. These findings have direct and important implications for international marketers. Journal of International Business Studies (2007) 38, 726–745. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400293
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wenzel, Lars & Wolf, André, 2013. "Towards a new measure of a country's competitiveness: applying canonical correlation," HWWI Research Papers 144, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Fong, Cher-Min & Lee, Chun-Ling & Du, Yunzhou, 2013. "Target reputation transferability, consumer animosity, and cross-border acquisition success: A comparison between China and Taiwan," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 174-186.
- Godey, Bruno & Pederzoli, Daniele & Aiello, Gaetano & Donvito, Raffaele & Chan, Priscilla & Oh, Hyunjoo & Singh, Rahul & Skorobogatykh, Irina I. & Tsuchiya, Junji & Weitz, Bart, 2012. "Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumers' decision to purchase luxury products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1461-1470.
- Chen, Yi-Min & Su, Yi-Fan & Lin, Feng-Jyh, 2011. "Country-of-origin effects and antecedents of industrial brand equity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1234-1238.
- Hoffmann, Stefan & Mai, Robert & Cristescu, Anamaria, 2013. "Do culture-dependent response styles distort substantial relationships?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 814-827.
- Wang, Cheng Lu & Li, Dongjin & Barnes, Bradley R. & Ahn, Jongseok, 2012. "Country image, product image and consumer purchase intention: Evidence from an emerging economy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1041-1051.
- Pappu, Ravi & Quester, Pascale, 2010. "Country equity: Conceptualization and empirical evidence," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 276-291, June.
- Amine, Lyn Suzanne, 2008. "Country-of-origin, animosity and consumer response: Marketing implications of anti-Americanism and Francophobia," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 402-422, August.
- Roth, Katharina P. & Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2009. "Advancing the country image construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(7), pages 726-740, July.
- Guina, Fernanda de Tavares Canto & Giraldi, Janaina de Moura Engracia, 2013. "The Evaluation of Brazilian Beef in Europe: Consumers, Importers and Exportersâ€™ Perspectives," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(4).
- Cristel Russell & Dale Russell, 2010. "Guilty by stereotypic association: Country animosity and brand prejudice and discrimination," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 413-425, December.
- Hamzaoui-Essoussi, Leila & Merunka, Dwight & Bartikowski, Boris, 2011. "Brand origin and country of manufacture influences on brand equity and the moderating role of brand typicality," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 973-978, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.