Causes of the difficulties in internationalization
AbstractWe study the causes of the difficulties faced by firms when they internationalize in search of new markets. We build on the resource-based theory to argue that the difficulties in internationalization can be separated into three main sets based on their relationship to advantage: loss of advantage provided by resources transferred abroad; creation of a disadvantage by resources transferred abroad; and lack of complementary resources required to operate abroad. In each set, we further distinguish difficulties that are specific to a firm from those that are common to a set of firms. We argue that only a few of the resulting types of difficulties of internationalization are exclusive to the cross-border expansion, and propose solutions that address the root cause of each type. Journal of International Business Studies (2007) 38, 709–725. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400295
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Desbordes, Rodolphe & Darby, Julia & Wooton, Ian, 2011.
"Institutional Quality and FDI to the South An Analytical Approach,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2011-70, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Rodolphe Desbordes & Julia Darby & Ian Wooton, 2011. "Institutional Quality and FDI to the South: An Analytical Approach," Working Papers 11-31, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2009. "Equity-based entry modes of emerging country multinationals: Lessons from Turkey," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 445-462, October.
- Van Assche, Ari & Schwartz, Galina A., 2013. "Contracting institutions and ownership structure in international joint ventures," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 124-132.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael, 2011. "Exploiting the liability of foreignness: Why do service firms exploit foreign affiliate networks at home?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 15-29, March.
- Lo, Fang-Yi & Mahoney, Joseph T. & Tan, Danchi, 2010. "The Relationship between Location-Bound Advantages and International Strategy: An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 10-0103, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Sethi, Deepak & Judge, William, 2009. "Reappraising liabilities of foreignness within an integrated perspective of the costs and benefits of doing business abroad," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 404-416, August.
- Lorentz, Harri & Kittipanya-ngam, Pichawadee & Singh Srai, Jagjit, 2013. "Emerging market characteristics and supply network adjustments in internationalising food supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 220-232.
- Ari Van Assche & Galina A. Schwartz, 2013. "Contracting Institutions and Ownership Structure in International Joint Ventures," CIRANO Working Papers 2013s-04, CIRANO.
- Jisun Yu & Sung Kim, 2013. "Understanding liability of foreignness in an Asian business context: A study of the Korean asset management industry," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 1191-1217, December.
- Cuervo-Cazurra, Alvaro, 2008. "The multinationalization of developing country MNEs: The case of multilatinas," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 138-154, June.
- Yildiz, Harun Emre & Fey, Carl Felix, 2012. "The liability of foreignness reconsidered: New insights from the alternative research context of transforming economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 269-280.
- Romeo V. Turcan, 2013. "International New Venture Legitimation: An Exploratory Study," Administrative Sciences, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(4), pages 237-265, November.
- Ricardo Jorge Fernandes Coutinho & Raquel Meneses Moutinho, 2012. "Generational Succession as a Trigger for Family Business Internationalization," Economics and Management Research Projects: An International Journal, Open Access International Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-17, February.
- repec:emp:wpaper:ec8-127-i is not listed on IDEAS
- Hessels, Jolanda & Parker, Simon C., 2013. "Constraints, internationalization and growth: A cross-country analysis of European SMEs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 137-148.
- Denk, Nikola & Kaufmann, Lutz & Roesch, Jan-Frederik, 2012. "Liabilities of Foreignness Revisited: A Review of Contemporary Studies and Recommendations for Future Research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 322-334.
- Alvaro, Cuervo-Cazurra, 2011. "Selecting the country in which to start internationalization: The non-sequential internationalization model," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 426-437, October.
- Nadia AYARI, 2010. "Geographic Distance And R&D Activities Of Subsidiaries Located In Spain," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 32, pages 203-224.
- Eberhard, Manuel & Craig, Justin, 2013. "The evolving role of organisational and personal networks in international market venturing," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-397.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Grossman, David A. & Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Nugent, Nicholas, 2009. "Foreign market entry mode of service firms: The case of U.S. MBA programs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 274-286, July.
- Dai, Ou & Liu, Xiaohui, 2009. "Returnee entrepreneurs and firm performance in Chinese high-technology industries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 373-386, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.